My collection of wise, and not so wise, postings

Tuesday 3 May 2011

Gentleness

I sometimes wonder about how we use, or abuse, our language, and how it affects our relationships.

I guess I am too old to appreciate some of the harsh comments especially young people, but also some my own age, seem to find quite appropriate.
In my mind words have a meaning. What you say has an impact. The impact you make is still valid, I think, even if most think "it does not matter", "they know I am just kidding" or "I don't really mean it, I am just being funny".

A lot of the swearing so many think is necessairy to utter; well, in my opinion it is a total waste of breath and a terrible way to put others down... most of the time unintetionally. You replace a lot of good words with words that have no other purpose than to show negativity or anger, even if those feelings are not present. They do not even emphasize the strength in your comment! It is just pointless putting people you consider friends or strangers who never did anything to you in the first place, down.

Some times I am apalled by how some people adress eachother and wonder why they put up with it? Is it normal to call your friend or sister, for that matter, a bitch? I even hear girls adress themselves like that and it makes me sad. Girls should stand up, if not for others, at least for themselves.

In the back of our head we know it is not good for us, we know that thoughts we plant can grow into convictions.

Hugh Blair really has a good point when he say that since we have such bad manners we must find a way to correct them. I think that our gentleness should start by us thinking about what the words we use really mean, and then pay attention to who we actually adress. Some times it is ok to use foul words because it is a private and mutual standard, other times it is just... well, not ok.

Gentleness corrects whatever is offensive in our manner.
Hugh Blair

No comments:

Post a Comment

So... what do you think?