My collection of wise, and not so wise, postings

Thursday 5 May 2011

Are parents Superheroes?

Some times I wonder how parents make wheels turn. I don't have enough hours in a day to get everything done which should have been done.
I have a fulltime job, I study, I have kids to take care of, a house to run and a dog to walk. In addition I have friends who should not be neglected.

I am lucky, I think, who do not need too much sleep. The lack of beutysleep is beginning to show, but that is not important. More important is the fact I never feel really rested. I am always running down on energy.
The most worrying aspect of it, however, is how I find my patience getting more and more worn out. I have no time for long discussions and I give instructions rather than ask. It is bad, I know, but when I get into dark moments of reflection over my own behaviour, I excuse myself by thinking it will pass. Time will come when I can slow down and be a better person.

My day starts at 5:30 am. I walk my dog before I hit the shower (my dog has a LOT of personality and demands to be walked from the second he hears my feet hit the floor... otherwise he can make a true turmoil waking up the entire family) and get ready to face the day.
By 7:00 am I have made lunches for the kids, the kids are awake and dressed, schoolbags are packed and I leave the house with the little man, who I deliver in the kindergarden before I continue to work.
8:10 am the first lesson start and the workingday is on.
By 4:00 pm I am usually back home, groceries and the little man are picked up on the way and I prepare the warm meal we call dinner (tea) before the kids are to be dressed and transported to soccer practice or other spare time activities.
7:00 pm I try to get the little man in bed. Then the other two have homework they some times need help with, they eat supper and by 10:pm it is bedtime.
At 11:00 pm I start working: preparing tomorrows lessons, reviewing papers and tests and try to study a bit. While doing so, some times I chat while working, just to recognize there

 are other adults talking about adult subjects out there. I seldom go to sleep before 2:00 am.

I have a good life, but sometimes...well, it feels like I have no life, time to myself and things I like is VERY limited. How DO parents make wheels turn? How do they get the time to go out, to visit friends, to work out, to always have a perfect house? My house looks like a place hit by a hurricane EVERY NIGHT, and I don't always have time to clear it up.

Maybe most parents are superheroes, and I am among the few who were forgotten about when extra powers and energy was handed out?  It certainly feels like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

So... what do you think?