My collection of wise, and not so wise, postings

Wednesday 23 October 2013

neat-handed Knowledge


The greatness of the world we live in sometimes strikes me as incredibly amazing. The other day, as I was teaching about myths, I started to think about how God created the world: “God created the world in 6 Days and on the 7th Day he rested. On the first day God created the Sun in order to give light and warmth to the Earth. On the second, third, fourth and fifth day he created the universe. On the sixth day, He created man and the entire creation was completed”.
There is something mind-blowing about the Bible, when they more than 3000 years ago knew we have an atmosphere… just saying. Regardless of personal belief, I think that what was written down such a long time ago has something “new” about it. The ten commandments are so up to date, It is strange they were not a result of a meta study, to find out through surveys and research what to do to keep peace among people and in inter-human relationships.
Just like… The Bible is the only religious guideline to how to lead a good life which illustrates the importance, and consequences, of communication, or lack thereof. I use that story in class, not to preach or anything, but as an example to how good communication makes people able to cooperate and understand each other, and what happens if we don’t. And those guys back then, who wrote the story, had an understanding of that we most often tend to forget.
Anyway… old knowledge is only old because people knew it a long time ago. It is still valid, so it should be considered forever currant knowledge.
That being said: I have this bad habit of thinking about things which are too big for me to fathom. I like to twist and turn questions around and make up my mind on issues I know has already been answered, but which I can find proof of in old sources. The older the better. It is kind of satisfying to “proof-read” and think it through from different angles and see if it is really so.
Ok, a bit of deep thinking here tonight, I am under the influence of a book I am reading by Martin Buber. I find one “goldmine” after another of good things for me to think about. Many of them I forget about, even though I know them to be truths from way back, and it is good to be reminded:
“Every person born into the world represents something new, something that never existed before, something original and unique....If there had been someone like her in the world, there would have been no need for her to be born." --Martin Buber as quoted in Narrative Means for Sober Ends, by Jon Diamond, p.78”
Pretty neat, huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment

So... what do you think?