My collection of wise, and not so wise, postings

Saturday 5 October 2013

Does ancient knowledge become new?

A year and a half ago I was in Barcelona… and got my handbag stolen. I am not going to repeat that tragic story as I still find the whole thing very humiliating. I wrote about the incident on here, though, at the time.
When in Barcelona a coworker of mine and I were eating dinner at a fabulous (!) restaurant; I don’t remember the name… I asked for their card, and got it, but it was stolen, but I know my coworker still got the one I forced upon him: If ever in Barcelona again, I will go back. The food was beyond heavenly tasteful and delicate.
Anyway… I am not going to write about a restaurant I can’t remember the name of, so I will leave that for some other time, but during the meal it started raining.
You know: the kind of really hard shower which seems to rain upwards.
All of the guests dining outside pulled their tables closer together, to get out of the rain and under the canopy. It became a rather… intimate meal, shared with random strangers.
As it turned out I ended up sitting close to a man who was dining alone, and even though he had finished his meal, he took the time to chat with me when I approached him. You know, making comments about the rain, about the meal, the wine, where he was from…
He said things which made me think he was not just another tourist, so I asked what he was doing (I know, I am terrible like that: always interested in learning as much as possible about people who happens to be unfortunate enough to cross my path).
He was really easy going about my inquisitiveness and told me he was giving lectures and meeting up with scientists in Europe. And the field he was dealing with was astronomy. Imagine that! How exciting!
When I went to high school, I had a classmate who was very interested in astronomy, and he tried to make me understand the nature and principles of black holes. He spent an entire school year talking to me about it… and every time we had one of these discussions, he ended up shaking his head in resigned astonishment over my lack of scientific comprehension.
But this guy in Barcelona, Mark Neyrinck, had his own way to explain which made me understand what he was talking about.
He was working with (as far as I understood) a theory about: “Structures like galaxies and filaments of galaxies in the Universe come about from the origami-like folding of an initially flat three-dimensional manifold in 6D phase space”. OK, this is not a language I master. I understand it, but I don’t know how to create the sentences, so I stole the quote from http://arxiv.org/abs/1309.4787 In short: The Origami Cosmic Web of Galaxies.
To me this makes perfectly sense.
Our planet is still shaping, folding and shifting. The Indian plate is continuously moving north at the rate of about 2 cms every year. Because of this reason the Himalayas are rising at the rate of about 5 millimeter per year. This means that the Himalayas are still geologically active and structurally unstable.” http://library.thinkquest.org/10131/geology.html
(Internet is a great thing when it comes to copy and paste… why spend minutes pondering about how to put it in words, when someone else already did it so much better than I will ever be able to.)
The ravine dividing America from Europe is getting wider and deeper every year. Maldives may disappear from the world in next 100 years if the sea-level keep rising; Because of global warming, glaciers are melting so rapidly it results in sea-level rise. The entire planet is still changing and under construction. I used to think the world is changing, but the planet is constant. I am not so sure I believe that anymore.
I am not going to try to be scientific or anything, but as far as I know all ancient cultures have stories about how the world was created, and they refer to it as being flat.
I know for a fact that the stories which were told through times, and later written down, hold a lot of truths in them. They are wise guidelines to a good life, and are valid even today, thousands of years later. Those old guys were smart; they knew what they were talking about.
Maybe they knew this about the making of our planet as well…?

No comments:

Post a Comment

So... what do you think?