My collection of wise, and not so wise, postings

Friday 6 September 2013

Some things are hard to write about.


As much as I like to write about this and that and nothing at all, I sometimes feel there are subjects I am really concerned about, but which I don’t feel I am competent enough to write about. And yet; there is, however, sometimes things I would like to mention, just because I feel it is fair to address the issue.
There are some things about modern time I have problems accepting. The only thing I find even harder to accept is the fact that we allow it.

I don’t point fingers or accuse anybody for consciously, or deliberately, to condone the trends, but I am worried because I never hear critical voices questioning the experts.

One of these issues, which I tried to write about, but discarded because it was too hard to get my point through, was how we tend to use equal terms when we talk about children and adults.

You see: Some smart person introduced the term “children’s sexuality”. What, what? Every time I hear it, or read it, everything inside me just writhes. I strongly oppose to the term, and I do so because I don’t believe there is such a thing, at least not the way adults usually interpret the term. Kids should not be made objects like that. The experts really shouldn’t use expressions the common man on the street has specific interpretations of.

There is something totally wrong in adults apprehending children as miniature adults, and by that believing children are subjects to the same issues adults are.

Languages all around the world, at all times, have given us strong understanding of how children differs from adults: Children will grow up to be adults/ children will be adults: It is in the future! But they are not adults yet.

Oh, I know I disagree with a lot of experts and researches, but I really don’t understand why we are so eager to make children into miniature adults, rather than just accept they are children.

I want for us to accept that childhood has stages of development, some which include exploring and getting to know one’s body, but that is not, in my opinion, the same thing as sexual behavior.

I get really upset when the medias tell about assaults involving children, using the same language they do about assaults where only adults are involved.

We shouldn’t compare. There are no similarities between the two. (Sorry, yes, there are similarities, but in my opinion they are more different than the same.)

We hear about so much cruelty, and I believe it is time we find expressions which define the differences between childhood and to be an adult, both in everyday- and professional terms.

When we talk about children the same way we do about adults, it weakens the power of the contents, for victims of either age.

We kind of wear the expressions out, and by that make them more normal and less dangerous or scary.

And now that I read my text, which I intended to be about how hard it is to write about controversial issues, or things I find disturbing, I just realized I wrote it anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment

So... what do you think?