My collection of wise, and not so wise, postings

Sunday 7 October 2012

Quizzes And Authors

I tend to participate on online, informal tests. Not because they add to my wisdom or insight in my own person, but because they often boost my selfesteem.
Of course it has nothing to do with me choosing only subjects I feel rather confident in. Like food and music, and then I post my brilliant score on facebook just to show off how much knowledge I have in subjects of no importance.

A student ones told me: “You know just about everything, you always have an answer, and when I check on your answer online, they always turn out right!” I then replied that: “It has something to do with the nature of the questions you ask. I know a little about a lot of stuff, but never much about anything. My knowledge is great for quizzes and jeopardy but nothing else, really”. I am not, and never will be, an expert on anything.
Or, not quite true; thinking about it I am an expert on saying nothing at all using a lot of long sentences.  I hope to improve and do better, though...  some time in the future. I wish.

Since I love to read I often come across sentences I find just brilliant. Not because they are particularly smart as far as contents is conserned, but because some has the ability to use very few words to say a lot. I, on the other hand, often find myself rambling on forever about nothing at all.

The other day I took this online test about what I should have chosen as my profession. The result turned out to be: “You are an author. You like to have something to do. You have a few good friends, but don’t spend enough time with them. You have a fertile imagination”.
I am far from confident authors around the world would agree on the qualities and prerequisites an author should have. It is almost a disappointment if it should be that simple to become an author. I so admire the way many of them have with words, and think of them as representatives to the art of writing.

Old Fashioned Typewriter - Vendor: iClipartAuthor is to me a great word which holds a world of meaning. I so respect those who can actually put their (great) thoughts down on paper, and when I read what they write I understand exactly what they intend to say.
Then again; not everybody who call themselves authors are good authors. Some abuse the title to achieve some sort of prestige, regardless of how insignificant their writings are.
The thing is that “author” is defined as a person who writes literature. “Author” is not a protected designation, and everybody who writes, every writer, regardless of genre, can, in principle, call themselves “author”.

In spite of the open definition, fortunately The Vancouver Protocol states that in order to be credited as an author, each and every author on a publication needs to have been involved in the:
1.  Conception and design, or analysis and interpretation of data AND
2.  Drafting the article or revising it critically for important intellectual content AND
3.  Final approval of the version to be published.


Woman Typing on a Typewriter - Vendor: Clipart.comSo, there is some sort of standard of credibility expected. That’s a relief. Or...is it? Somehow an unwelcome image is stuck in my head now.... you see; Through the years I have read quite a few really well written ladies’ novels and so-called chic lit...

No comments:

Post a Comment

So... what do you think?