My collection of wise, and not so wise, postings

Thursday 4 October 2012

No internet, no work done....?

I really, really should have been working right now. By work, I mean reviewing papers and writing a couple of reports from today’s meetings at work.
Problem is, however, the heavy rain outside.

No, I am not outside, actually I am in my den, feeling quite comfortable and cozy while listening to the rain pounding at the windows.

The rain is causing problems , though, for one or another reason I have no internet connection.
Now, I am fully aware that my laptop is an excellent typewriter, but all my documents are stored at an external server. My students’ papers are stored at itslearning, which is a learning platform accessed through the schoolowner’s server.

My own documents, and thereby my notes from the meetings, are stored at an external site, provided by my internet supplier... At the time it was a brilliant idea because I can access my documents from any computer anywhere in the world. I just didn’t calculate on the possebility of not being able to access my documents because internet was down.

I am a victim of the excellence of high tech.
Back in the days, when I went to school, there was never a question of technical complications getting in the way of theory and theoretical work. We always knew where to find pen and paper. Our biggest problem was our own will to start working.

We didn’t have computers, so means of entertainment other than schoolwork was very limited. Oh, we had our ways. In secret we would tear small notes of paper from our notebooks and write or draw creative messages to eachother. We folded them, wrote the name of the receiver on it and passed it along the row from hand to hand. Maybe we, in a split second of bravery, would dare to throw it across the room hoping the teacher would not notice.
The notes were read, a reply would be added and it would be returned.

Such insolence was daring then, now I look back and wish that was the kind of innocent game my students would engage in today.

Our schooling is based upon the use of computers and the use of learning platforms. Everything I and my students do is documented by being recorded there. It is part of the thorough documentation we keep on our students’ learning, progress and results... or lack thereof.

In theory it is great. In real life it is a nightmare. Social medias are only a click away, and so is the world. Most people would by far prefere being entertained than to make an effort themselves.

So, just now internet came back. I am online again, and I am to review a test: Checking the answers for copy and paste, then grade them and give them a feedback on what they need to do next time to do better.

I believe that if my students were to give me feedback on how to do better, it would be for me to speed up reviewing their tests.

No comments:

Post a Comment

So... what do you think?