My collection of wise, and not so wise, postings

Thursday 5 January 2012

Music is a girl's best friend.

It is not diamonds, like Marily Monroe sang, which is a girl's best friend. Not always, anyway.
In my case it is music. Music has always been a passion of mine. My best moments are spent on the floor with loud music washing all over me. That is how I relax when I feel life just overwhelm me.

A long gone friend of mine plays the piano, very musical, don’t know how to read notes but he plays by ear, faultlessly.

Many years ago I lived abroad for a year, and it was during this period of time I met him. It is great to meet people you can have uncomplicated fun with. We would do things like play chess, and even if he is brilliant and I barely know how to move the pieces, we laughed a lot.
He was learning the language of the country, with his terrible strong British accent, I would correct him and we still had fun.

I was there when he decided he wanted to start playing the piano. He was allowed to use the theatre/ concert hall at the facility when there were no rehearsals going on. So I joined him, helping to place the grand piano on the stage and just listened.

Grand Piano - Vendor: iClipartSometimes I wish I could do what he did… he just sat down, let the fingers run over the keys and then he played: Chopin, Vivaldi, Mozart, Metallica, Aerosmith, Prince, Michael Bolton, Toto… I would lie under the grand piano and it was intense.

Punk Chick Singer with Pink Hair - Vendor: iClipartSometimes he would ask me to sing. I am by no means a singer, but with some luck I hit the key now and again, and we had a great time.

When he left to go back home I missed the fun and the laughter, but even more so I missed his ways with music. I missed having fun around music, I missed not taking it all so seriously, I missed that someone smart, with great talents, took my friendship for what it was and made me feel good about it.

Since then music has not been only a passion for me. In many ways it is my very best friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment

So... what do you think?