My collection of wise, and not so wise, postings

Saturday 7 January 2012

Environmental things...

Saturday is the day of the week when I try to get something done around the house. Laundry, filling the freezer with bakery, sorting out toys, games and strange electronic gadgets I never even knew we had…

Under it all I try to find surfaces I can clean. I am not a compulsive cleaner, I just make enough out of it to feel good about it when I comfort myself thinking “it may look bad, but at the bottom it is clean”.

Recycling Icon - Vendor: Rosie Piter 0071Anyway; part of my tidying up routine is to recycle rubbish on my way to the store. I have children, and I want them to inherit a healthy world... and it is a fairly easy way to buy oneself a bit of clear conscience. 
Here we have waste containers placed at public places for those who want to do the extra effort to save the world.
I recycle glass, scrap, cloth (what is too worn out to be handed to charity), paper, organic waste and plastic. Batteries, light bulbs and electrical things are to be thrown in special containers we have at home and is picked up ones every 6 months. Writing it down now it looks pretty insane, and thinking about the diversity and number of bins for domestic waste sorting under my sink, it is ridiculous. I have 4 litter bins outside my house. Looks like a small industry area rather than the green heaven I want the entire world to be.

Recycle Bin for Paper and Glass - Vendor: Acclaim ImagesAs I was throwing away empty jars of jam I got the image of Al Gore, in my head, doing the same thing I was, and I thought to myself “You and I, Al, we know what is important”.
On my way home I started thinking about it, and I never heard or read anywhere he recycles anything. Does he? Does he do the extra effort?
Just wondering, since I have heard his electrical bill is 20 times as big as the average. There are good excuses for this: Al Gore's home is more than 10 times the average. The house has five bedrooms and is of nearly 1000 square meters. He only uses green renewable electricity, which costs about 30% more than conventional electricity. In addition, he and his wife Tipper each run their own office from home with several employees. It certainly attracts a lot of extra electricity. Probably the average American does not stay at home during the day. Al Gore has security staff on site often, as well as other important guests. So, I give him that…

On the other hand… does he feel at all guilty for using a private jet when travelling around the world talking about environment?
I understand it is important to travel fast and comfortable when you travel a lot, some people are too busy to wait and do security checks like others do. I get that.


Our own prime minister, who adds more taxes to everything than anyone else in the world (in the name of environment), went to the South Pole to celebrate Roald Amundsen. In 11 days he polluted what an average Norwegian pollutes in 3 years. I understand it was cool and an experience of a lifetime, but…

3D Robot Recycling a Tin Can - Vendor: iClipartWhat I would really like to know, as I struggle with enormous amounts of wrapping paper from Christmas eve; do they recycle at all? Do they, honestly?

No comments:

Post a Comment

So... what do you think?