My collection of wise, and not so wise, postings

Saturday 21 March 2015

No, not really interesting, just a whole lot of other nothings.



Someone asked me: "Done anything interesting these last few days?" I sat there thinking through my routines, habits and doings, and I was totally sincere when I replied: "I never do anything interesting. I am pretty boring like that; I'm caught in everyday life, being busy doing a bunch of nothings all day long, just like everybody else."

Then I started to think my day through; What was my last 24 hours really like? What happened that made me remember the day as gone by just as sudden as a wink of an eye?

Well: Yesterday I woke up in panic. I had overslept. I have never been late for work, except for one year we had two days with snow and icy roads. Traffic just didn't move at all. I was late... but so were my students. Anyway, I have been on time for years and years, I wasn't going to be late now.

I am not really the kind of person who occupy the bathroom in the morning for an extensive length of time. I use very little make up and my hair is just straight and, well, not hair I need to spend time on. But I like to feel fresh...  my routines this morning went by in the speed of lightening, as opposed to my usual sedate listless speed.

I woke my youngest son up, made his breakfast and lunch and walked the dog while he got ready for school. When I got back from the walk I gathered my bags, and his bags and extra pair of shoes and a hat, got it all in the car and off we went.

I dropped my son off at the before- and after school program, and drove to work. I didn't even take time to stop at the gas station and grab my free cup of coffee, which I do every morning. I consider that elixir of life, and enjoy sipping to it while driving to work. It is how I get ready for the day ahead: driving to work. sipping coffee and thinking through the day's logistics.

I got a bit puzzled as I pulled up outside work: there were no cars at the parking lot.Usually we compete about the parking spaces... we, who teach at the remote department from the main schoolbuilding, rent parking spaces. We get a good price, though, but the fit, working out, tattooed Hells Angels-like, rough guys at the gym upstairs usually beat us to them. They don't pay for parking, why should they? There are free parking space, noone's car is there when they arrive.
Usually I have to park my car illegally during first lesson, waiting for the guys upstairs to finish their work out before work and take off. (Some times I run up the stairs and call out to whoever feels the shoe fits to move their car. Or... or... or else I will be very cross!)
A glance at the clock made me look twice: one hour early!

My poor 8-year old told me later I had treated him badly. Very badly! He arrived at the before- and after school program, and the door was locked. Because he thought maybe he was late as well, he walked to the school, only to find noone was there... so he walked back to the before- and after school program, and was the first kid to arrive that morning. He is never that early, so they asked him why he was so early and he told them we overslept... even he picked up on the strange looks the staff gave eachother.

On Wednesdays we always have meetings after classes. This Wednesday we were summoned to teamwork on evaluation- and curriculum. My team members were not present, they were scattered around doing other things; One was making a set of suggestions to exams, another was at the hospital supporting her daughter who was in labour.... you know: there are numerous perfectly good reasons why it is inconvenient to show up for teamwork.

My "teamwork" involved talking to coworkers who were supposed to engage in their own team's activity, and then I had a unit's meeting all by myself. Very efficient, but not very creative. Not quite sure what came out of it was of great quality either.

Came home from work, and charged my mobile phone while cooking dinner. It was low on power because I had been trying to update and upgrade the software all day, but didn't have enough space.

Went to my youngest son's schoolplay on Torbjørn Egner's "People and Robbers of Cardamom Town", which was a wonderful, very impressive show. I am so in awe over those teachers who make the young 8-year old pupils behave and act and remember the lyrics to songs and manuscript.

A couple of weeks ago my son wanted to fix his own costume. He was Jonathan, one of the robbers.
When he came downstairs and showed me what he was going to wear, the little rascal had found a pair of scissors and cut holes in a perfectly fine shirt and a pair of trousers.
He looked smashing!

So the show started and I had placed myself in a great spot for good shots... guess what: I had power enough, but not enough space, and I realised this when my videocam on the mobile shut down, just in time for my son to go on stage.  In panic I started to delete a lot of photos I had duplicates of, but I didn't get that done in time to record his performance.

Well at home again it was bedtime for my proud actor. I didn't have the heart to tell him my camera failed. I have always recorded all their performances, and I have always recorded the entire show. My mobile phone is just wonderful like that: LOTS of space and excellent quality on both picture and sound.

It took me quite a while to realize there was no hot water.
For many months there were countless attempts to get hold of our plumber. I sent text messages, emails, called him.... absolutely no response. My efforts to get hold of him were met by dead silence.
I found it very annoying because we had an annual service deal with him, and paid quite well for it too. Months went by, I gave up and contacted another plumber who was willing to take on the maintenance of the entire water and gas installation.
BUT, he was on a vacation and will not be back for another three weeks.

At 23:30 I sent a text to a friend of mine and asked if he knew about a plumber who was top notch and available to fix my problem the next day. An hour later I got an sms from a man I had never heard about before saying: "I will be there at 6, if you are not up by then, please leave the key under your mat".
I was up well before 6.

While waiting for a reply from my friend about the plumber, I sent text messages to other parents I knew had been filming the schoolplay and got hold of the scene I was missing. I transferred the pictures and videos on my phone to my laptop... and suddenly the software started updating too! (I know, I should at least have suspected memory was that low on space.)

Anything interesting? No, not really. Just a busy day doing a whole lot of everyday-nothings.
Hobbies? I have loads, and one day I will have time on my hands to try them out... meanwhile I keep trying to learn how to write.

No comments:

Post a Comment

So... what do you think?