My collection of wise, and not so wise, postings

Friday 14 December 2012

Planning for Christmas

I always plan what to do, when, to get ready for Christmas.
Getting ready for Christmas means that the entire month of December is filled with activities and spending money... at least on paper it is.

My list this year looked something like this:

November 29th and 30th: wrap and number all the gifts for the kids’ Advent Calendars.
December 1st:           Hang the Advent star in window.
                                   Hang the outdoor lighting.
                                   Get the advent candelabra ready.

December 2nd:          Bake one kind of cookie.
                                   Attend the lighting of public outdoor Christmas tree.

December 3rd:          Plan and get hold of everything I need to make Christmas cards.

December 4th:          Make Christmas cards and write them (List of receivers)

December 5th:          Bake one kind of cookie.
                                   Cleaning the windows on the inside.

December 6th:          Write Christmas cards
                                   Wrap the gifts to be sent by mail.

-       - - - - - - - - -
December 13th:        Remember white coat and tinsel for kindergarten > practise song
Bake saffron buns > the day of Saint Lucia



December 15th:        Birthday party!

December 16th:        Bake one kind of cookie

... and the list goes on.

The problem with writing lists is that you plan as if everyday life is predictable. I fall into the trap EVERY time.

I never planned of being appointed examiner and external examiner for make-up examination.
I never planned on heavy snowfall and following extensive snow clearing. (This part of the country never plan on snow... it is abnormal to have heavy snowfall here. Not like where I grew up, where it is the rule.
I never planned on serious traffic chaos, causing hours of delay getting anywhere.
I never planned on my son wanting to celebrate his birthday arranging a gaming night and sleep over.
I just ignored the possebility of things happen. All of these nothings which end up being time consuming when added up. Everyday life must go on; I can’t put life on hold just because I want to do something extra.

Today’s state: Advent calendar made,  advent candelabra displayed and two lights lit, windows cleaned, all the lighting planned on hung... Day of Saint Lucia marked...

No comments:

Post a Comment

So... what do you think?