My collection of wise, and not so wise, postings

Friday 16 November 2012

a bodily work of art

Not long ago I heard about a man who was granted a substantial financial compensation and a divorce, in court, because his wife had not told him that she had gone through several plastic surgeries to get her looks.


Suppose it was only a question of time untill this would happen. We have an old joke saying “This couple got married in Las Vegas, and the next morning the man died from an heartattack caused by shock: he woke up with a strange woman he had never seen before... during the night she had removed her make up”.
Well, make up, or “war paint” as my students call it (teenage boys can be gruesome in their judgements), has been around for centuries and is one of the more common accepted  ways to improve appearance.

We are so preoccupied with looks; So desperately chasing youth, that we choose to ignore what consequenses our actions might have, not only to ourselves but to those we include in our lives as well.
A quick search on the internet informed me that plastic surgery may sound appealing but:

· the procedures are costly.
· a considerable amount of time that is needed for recovery from some of the procedure
· risk that you might not be happy with the results
· there could be complications.
· Some of the cons or side effects are so dangerous and everlasting that they can even lead to death.
· risks of plastic surgery include wound commotion of overlying skin and infections.
· breast augmentation include bleeding of the gel, encapsulation and the prospect of loss of silicone in the body.
· liposuction include discoloration, depigmentation, numbness, bruising and pain.
· Facelift plastic surgery also involves various side effects such as nerve damage which makes the person's face insensible.
· mild side effects such as feeling pain in the affected part
· inflammation which can disappear with the time.
There are so many women and men out there with perfect curves and no wrinkles, looking stunning with every accessory right... apart from the non-existing smile. The personality hidden behind an expressionless face.
I understand why it is beautiful, but...

In my grandparents’ faces I always saw history written in every line, wrinkle and grey hair. The goodness of them beaming from their hundred different smiles.
Their worries and joys showing in their lines and wrinkles around their eyes.

I believe that life puts its mark on a person, both good and bad. Maybe it is a good thing to erase your past from your appearance, but I myself find something recognizable and soothing in that history. It is where I come from.
I also think I would be saddened if my parents altered their looks because they did not like their features.... which they passed on to me.

Through the years we have seen, in media, how devastating the outcome of plastic surgery can be, but the drive to look good makes us still wanting to take the risk. Because, after all, there are some great results as well.

Personally I know seven people, who I mingle and talk with on a regular basis, who have gone through gastric surgery in order to lose weight. Two of them even gained weight in order to qualify for the operation.
I think about it as medicine has made it possible for them to avoid taking action on their own lack of self dicipline.
Then, because their weightloss is so extreme, they get surgery to remove the tracks the weightloss caused. Stomach, back, thighs, arms and boobs are tucked in, tightened and sculptured to become as perfect as can possibly be.

In all fairness and honesty it is not my problem, not an issue I should preoccupy myself with. Their lives and doings are their concern and yet it affects me in ways I never expected:
We used to have good talks about nothing and everything. Now it seems like every topic can be related to bodysize, size in clothes, scars, elastic bandages and gordles. And calories. Not lack of calories in food and diets, but the relief they can eat anything delicious with no thoughts on the risk of gaining weight.

The other day I talked to someone who have chosen the opposite solution to how to both rebel against the commercial ideal  of what a body should look like and commercial dieticians.

ok, I have been watching body building posing... I am soooooo, soooooo glad we all have different hobbies. Even way back when I had a fairly ok body I never displayed myself with such ease... and never to anyone else than friends at the beach. But.... it is still fascinating to watch... I think I discovered my triceps too (as I in secret tightened a couple of muscles.. just to compare, of course, not the posing drill)!

Bodybuilders have their own standards to what a body should look like. The sculptured muscles with defined lines and proportions are goals reached by dicipline, hard work, time and dedication.... and fake tan.

In my world this has always been some kind of a shady sport, not even worthy being called a sport, with lots of illegal drugs and methods connected to the miljeu. At least that is what we hear, when it is talked about. We know better, don’t we? Effective methods of cheating can be found in all kinds of human lifestyles.

I have to admit that a fit and toned body does look better than my pale, untrained self. I suppose we were not really made to live lives as couch potatoes... I think perhaps it is time to find my own golden compromise.




No comments:

Post a Comment

So... what do you think?