My collection of wise, and not so wise, postings

Thursday 21 June 2012

From pure joy to no joy at all

Another classic morning, a morning which in many ways tells the story of my life.
I have to go back to last night to really add some sense to what happened, so (in short):
Two of my coworkers are leaving; they have both gotten jobs elsewhere, so this week is the last week I get to see them at work. One of them invites us girls from the office to a night at her house, and asked us to bring something for dessert.
It was a lovely house, just the right size and very tasty furnished but what really took my breath away was the view. The house is placed rather high in a small mountain, huge windows showed a strikingly beautiful view over the surrounding landscape. There was hardly anything which gave me the feeling the house was a semi-detached house in a development.
We were served a very tasty soup with freshly baked beguettes with herbes and garlic (half done from the shop, but that is just as nice as home made).
The spirits were high, gossip flourished and the laughter roared more than just a few times. A lovely evening out with the girls.
I brought a cheesecake. The cheese was the wrong kind, the jelly was the wrong flavour and the youghurt as well, but I drowned the heartshaped cake in an abundance of strawberries, thinking if the cake was inedible, the strawberries would still be nice.
The girls had brought a chocolate cake, an apple pai with icecream, strawberries, water melon... all in all it was a feast! A real treat on a weeknight.
It all resulted in a very late night and it was way past midnight when I arrived back home.
At home my youngest kid, who is in the middle of growing age, woke up; his thighs hurt so badly. I spent most of the night comforting, massaging and soothing the little man.
We both finally fell asleep, and the next thing I know is waking up with the panicking feeling of something being wrong. And it was:
A fairy must have turned off all the alarm clocks because I had overslept. I got the kids dressed,  organized a search for my kid’s other soccer boot, made lunches (that alone was an accomplishment as my oldest kid had people over for an overnight movie thing, and they had been cooking some time during the night), rushed one kid off to school and another one was dropped off at the kindergarden. My car was having service done at the garage, so I drove there and dropped my beloved Hyundai Santa Fe off.
My job was on a trip today; a lovely, social event with hikes and lovely food and great company. Well, I was late for that, so they left without me.
So, by 9:30am I was on the street unshowered, with no car, no trip, no driver’s lesson as that was canselled so I could go on the trip and my only prospect was a seriously untidy house with a kitchen full of left overs, dirty dishes and surfaces mostly covered in flour.
And the day really didn’t improve at all! I suspect fait found it appropriate to punish me for a night out with the girls...

No comments:

Post a Comment

So... what do you think?