My collection of wise, and not so wise, postings

Friday 15 February 2013

Getting ready for spring... ehm..


The sun is shining, it is freezing cold outside, but ever so lovely. One should think that everything is frozen, due to the -4° Celsius, but it’s not. Sitting outside on the stairs in my garden… freezing my bum off and hands shaking so much I at some point was worried I would spill all my coffee, I can see that the crocus, the hyacinths, the daffodils and the snowdrops sprout. A true sign of spring and new life to nature, which has been dormant for the last few months.

Spring, the most optimistic season of the year, is just around the corner. That means that we have to start thinking about how to dress when temperatures rise and both nature and people thaw.

We will no longer wear thermo overalls, excellent for hiding, or huge scarves to cover up that extra double chin; once again we try to avoid showing off what we made such great effort to hide last year.

Every year, when I go shopping for Christmas presents, I find stunning dresses and outfits I would really like to wear to the various Christmas arrangements and parties. But when I take a quick look in the windows I pass, I have to admit they would probably not fit me… or, of course they would fit me in the right size, but the right size is not the size I want them in. So I decide I will get something just as lovely and becoming next year, when my size is the size I want to buy them in. (I am NOT desperate enough to buy the clothes two sizes too small, and keep them for the future day when they fit… but the thought have crossed my mind.)

Problem is: When that lovely piece of clothing has been mourned and I have comforted myself with a coffee mocha and I have found both a couple of presents AND bought another big, dark tent I can imagine makes me look stunning. I am done with the grief over my poor state.

In addition; Our summer is basically a lot of rain and an occasional fortunate day with temperatures above 20 degrees celsius. Swim and beachwear is not really a big issue here, neither is getting your body in shape for beach life. :-(The thing about me not being all wrinkled up yet, is not careful skincare, it is all about being frozen and not getting exposed too much to sunshine.

In lack of real inspiration I forget all about self-discipline and the desire to look dashing. Society is so full of body images based on lies I just choose not to pay attention. It is all unattainable standards anyway.  At least to average women, like myself.

This has become somewhat of a pattern over the last 12 years. Everyday life traps you, and you fall into same old habits you had before.

Not necessarily because it is preferred or really wanted; You do it because you know the strategies you have developed over years, work; They allow you to get things done, and changes in your habits might interfere and interrupt your well planned strategy on how to get time.

Knowing this, I still reached the point when “something” had to change. That something was me. My mood was down, my self-confidence was low, my me-time was non-existent, thousand thoughts buzzed around in my head, and I just never got the time to sort them out and get done with. All in all I figured I was not a very pleasant person to be around, let alone live with.

So what did I do? I invested in the coolest pair of NIKE running shoes ever! The downside is that given the ridiculous prize I have to use them.

So I started off walking really fast four nights a week to gradually learn how to jog. Not only was it BORING it was also so cold my hands and thighs turned numb (Still is, by the way). Not funny, no fun... if it wasn't for the insanely expensive shoes I would NEVER keep it up.... but I did, I do.

Americans talk so proudly about their 3-mile run, so I figured a 3-mile run on a regular basis would be a nice goal. And you know what? It is not that hard! And every time it takes a little less time to complete.

I am not going to extend the distance I run. I need to come home feeling I could have run longer. I need to want to do it next time as well, and for me this works.

Personal trainers often have a lot of good suggestions and mantras. Well they are personal trainers for a reason, and it has to do with lifestyle and interest. I don’t have their personality; I had to develop my own strategy within the reach of my own potential. Pointing fingers really doesn’t work to scare me into a better lifestyle. I have to be left alone and figure out my command level for optimal conditions of life.
 
If it comes to a point when you understand you are not in a good place, and it doesn’t work for you to be around same old, then you must figure out a way to do something about it... or.... at least you will want to, and that is how you start changing what is not good in your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

So... what do you think?